Last week, sadly, was the final week of my Independent Study! During the week, I worked on a paper that will summarize my experience this semester, as well as a presentation for the Facility and other groups like the Andover Green Advisory Board.
Additionally, on the weekend I implemented the changes discussed in the previous blog post (including all values in the highest/lowest/mean/median, splitting it up into four sheets to improve readability). Now, I am debugging on the server - for some reason, some of the tables in SQLite don't seem to be saving, but since I just deployed yesterday, it's possible that my testing is getting in its own way!
Over the last couple of weeks, I officially wrapped up the Independent Study, and the term came to an end. I have been working on several projects to showcase what I've learned and accomplished over the semester.
First, I wrote a paper outlining my work throughout the semester. This process took up most of the time I had during the final few classes, and the paper went through a few different drafts.
Simultaneously with this process, I finally updated the report itself to show the real mean, median, highest, and lowest values, instead of taking those from the pool of problematic values only.
Next, I developed a presentation that showcased the Weekly Report and, more generally, my journey so far with Energize. Last week, I presented this talk (as well as a 3-day demo version of the report) to the Andover Green Advisory Board. Tomorrow, it will be presented to the Facility staff themselves!
Currently, I still only have the 3-day demo version, because I discovered that my program had not been logging data into the permanent database (or, for that matter, any database) the way it should. I am still debugging this issue, but I am excited to present the structure of the report and the way it works!
At yesterday's meeting, Mr. Navkal and I had discussed consolidating the Weekly Report into a more readable and presentation-audience-friendly format, as a giant data table may not be the most appealing of forms in which to present a report. Therefore, I spent some time today working on scripts that would solve this issue, based on examples supplied by Mr. Navkal.
At first, I wrote a program to print out the facts in this form:
I also realized that since the highest, lowest, mean and median values are all calculated from the pool of problematic values rather than all the values for a room, I should probably have a version which does the opposite. I also began working on this version today.
Overall, the changes I'm making should help to make the final product more readable and helpful.
Today, I continued playing around with Matplotlib and tried to plot some relevant data from the Weekly Report. However, I had to cut this time short due to a club fair event, at which I represented the Andover Robotics Club along with leaders of the other two teams in the club.
In the evening, I attended a public meeting on Community Choice Aggregation, or CCA. My interest in the program was sparked a few months ago, when Mr. Navkal told me about it and later presented the idea to the Environmental Club (of which I am a member). At that point, I had the idea to use my Data Visualization skills to help create interactive data charts in support of the program. (CCA is a program that enables a town to develop a default plan that uses more renewable energy than the state requires. Consumers can then choose between the default and options with less or more renewable energy.) While I probably won't get to this project before my Independent Study ends, I definitely want to work on it as soon as possible!
Today, I mostly worked on my final presentation. I wrote a rough draft of a script that discusses my journey with Energize (so far!), from the start of the independent study to the completion of the Weekly Report. Additionally, I began playing around with Matplotlib in PyCharm (I've only ever used in in the Jupyter Notebook, so this was new) in the last 10 minutes of class.
Happy New Year!!
Today, I worked to solidify the remainder of the Weekly Report -- and successfully sent the email using the Python script! Now, I am not only able to produce a comprehensive report each week, but successfully send that report to any e-mail list.
This exciting milestone came at just the right time -- sadly, the term ends in a couple of weeks, meaning that my Independent Study is drawing to a close. I am so lucky to have received this opportunity back in September, and happy that I've learned so much about data science and the real world of development since then! As for final plans, I will prepare a presentation over the next few weeks, but details about that are TBD.
I'm a high school junior and programming enthusiast.